Friday, December 09, 2011

Why Go?

Contrary to what some have suggested, I am not going to Greece to find myself. I am not going to Greece to define myself, redefine myself, and for heaven's sake, I am not going to Greece to find a man. I mean, you know, should I frolic on the sea with a fine fisherman, that’s my business, but given that there’s plenty of frolicking to be had in the USA, no, finding a man is not my motive for going to Greece.

Why am I going to Greece? Because I’ve spent more than thirty years wanting to go back and believing I could not. Because the time is right. Because I’m more free now than I’ve ever been in my life. Because I have family there. Because my father’s and my mother’s stories began there. Because I want to connect and reconnect. Because I’m overcome with wanderlust. 

Because I had an idea, and the idea became a desire, and the desire became a calling, and I am answering the call.

Sometimes, when you answer a call, there isn't much logic behind it, and you don't have a whole lot of planning to do. You just... go. And you find your way along the way.

I hope.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, Mommy. And you are called, and I'm very proud of you.

*Bri* said...

Chrys, I just had to tell you that the way you write moves me. Thank you. :)

*Bri

Chrysoula said...

Thank you, Bri! That means a lot to me. Thank you for saying so. :)

Chrysoula said...

aiode25! I just noticed that I never replied to your comment! Aw, thank you, sweetie. Are you still proud of me, all these months later, huh? :-*