Monday, July 15, 2013

The Story: An Update

To my faithful few followers: I am officially pulling the plug on the blogging of "The Story." The story hasn't been terribly plugged-in at ChrysCrossing anyway, so from your perspective, nothing much will change. From my perspective, the story is a book, the book is in the making, and the making is taking on a life of its own.

I received two revelations of late. The first came during a 10-day silent meditation retreat last May. While meditating alone in my room, I received a vision of the book as a whole, something I'd been lacking all along. Immediately after the vision came the opening lines of the first two chapters. Plopped in my lap, just like that, word for word. Unfortunately, one of the retreat rules was No Writing. Fortunately, I break rules. Alone in my room, I pulled a pen and a notebook from my purse, and I wrote the words down. Gasp! I know, right? I'm such a rebel.

When heaven gives you a gift, you best shut up and receive it.

The second revelation, which came a few weeks later, was not about the book itself but about my relationship with the book. Ah, relationships. Suffice it to say, the revelation demanded that I divorce the story from this blog.

When heaven tells you to do something, you best shut up and do it.

So, while the book is taking shape in the hands of a rebellious wielder of pens, I'll see if I can stop by here from time to time to share tidbits and tales from this gal's daily life. If I am yet and again silent here for long stretches of time, it's because the book is a jealous and demanding sonamabeets.

Thanks for your patience, my friends. Na'maste kala.

7 comments:

pat maslowsky said...

I have enjoyed your blog and have thought from the beginning this needs to be a book...so for that your vision is a confirmation to me! :~) And as for the "no writing" rule at the retreat....shame on them! If I couldn't write (or read) I'd lose all my thoughts and lessons learned! So good for you being a rebel! I can't wait to see your final project bound and published! Like I always say to my kids when they have important projects to complete "Don't finish somehow-finish victoriously!"
You go Gurl!
Pat Maslowsky

Michael Noyes (aka Raj) said...

Oh oh, that means no report of the retreat? Had been looking forward to your thoughtful perspective. As new to your blog, your book is news to me. From what I know of your beautiful writing and your independent thinking, I'm sure it will be a winner! Write on!!

Chrysoula said...

Aw, Pat, bless your heart! Thank you for your kind words. You are an angel.

I do understand the no writing rule. Losing (or not holding) thoughts is one of the goals of meditation. This retreat was about devoting ourselves to the practice of meditation, to direct experience instead of ideas or thoughts about it.

In his beloved little book, "The Practice of the Presence of God," the 17th Century Christian monk Brother Lawrence writes, "In the way of God, thoughts count very little."

I followed the no writing rule for four days. Maybe it was four days of "no thought" that finally opened my mind enough to receive the vision. Maybe the vision and the words had been there all along, just waiting for me to let go of distractions long enough to see it and hear it, you know?

Regardless, the vision came. And I wrote it down, without shame or apology. I did make sure no other students were around so as not to cause them to stumble... or rat me out. ;-)

I intend to share more about the retreat. It was quite an experience, to be sure.

Thanks again, Pat. Your encouragement means so much to me, and I appreciate it. My love to you and yours...

Chrys

Chrysoula said...

Michael, oh yes! There will be a report of the retreat.

"The story" that I'm officially unplugging from this blog is the story of my journey through Greece in winter 2012, what I experienced there, and what I discovered, uncovered, and recovered. Woven into the work will be my parents' stories.

My experience at and thoughts about the meditation retreat fall under the category of "tidbits and tales from this gal's daily life." I will share that story here, eventually. Who knows, maybe pieces of that story will work their way into the book as well.

Thanks for stopping by, Michael, and thank you, too, for your encouragement. Many smiles and blessings your way...

Chrys

Michael Noyes (aka Raj) said...

BTW Chrys, is it only a coincidence that Chrysoula sounds like "Christ's soul," or is that the meaning in Greek? A good name for you! _/|\_

Chrysoula said...

Smiles! What a sweet thought! Thank you, Michael. Alas, my name (chris-SOO-luh) sounds more like Miss Hula. :-O

The root of Chrysoula is chryso, which means "gold" or "golden." It shares the same root as chrysanthemum, chrysalis, and St. John Chrysostom. -oula is a feminine diminutive, like "little one" or "dear one."

A nice name, methinks. _/|\_

Michael Noyes (aka Raj) said...

Even better in some ways. Gold is universally precious, and the diminutive form shows humility. One of my self references is Little Flower which for me has a similar meaning. And I sometimes see it as an unlikely flower jutting out from a crag in an otherwise barren cliff. Thanks for sharing, Chrys, and for your various other etymological musings too! (Will have to show you a Greek alphabet sculpture I created some years ago.)