Monday, July 09, 2007

Blessed by a Monarch

This lovely creature visited my garden this afternoon while I was on the phone with a friend. We hung up just so I could snap the photo. The butterfly circled around my head several times, fluttered toward the garage, the house, the neighbor's roof, then back around my head a few more times. Checking me out, I imagine.

Could I simply post the photo and leave you with the above description? Noooo, I had to 1) research to determine whether this is indeed a monarch (I think so), 2) read about monarchs, 3) decide which fascinating facts to share here with you, and 4) start planning where in my garden I'll create a Monarch Waystation.


Time well spent.

* * *


The monarch's scientific name, Danaus plexippus, in Greek means "sleepy transformation."

Milkweed is the only plant that monarch caterpillars eat. Milkweed is listed as a "noxious weed" in Michigan. 

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

buzz staff said...

Nice blog.

TSB