Sunday, May 18, 2008

Jobs and Timing

I really like my job at the bookstore. I had decided some time ago that I'd like to plan my massage schedule around my bookstore job. I want my bookstore job to be the paycheck I count on while I build up my massage practice part-time.

That's what I thought.

On Wednesday morning, I sent my resume to IMI's placement director. On Wednesday afternoon, I learned that my hours at the bookstore had been cut by 33%. (They cut everyone's hours.)

I don't know if this comes across as amazing here as it did to me when I saw my reduced-hours schedule at the bookstore. Think about it: Randy, my hands-on teacher, utilizes a lovely ritual to usher his students out of school and toward the working world of massage. Then I begin sending out my massage resume, wondering how I'm going to fit a massage job into my schedule. Then, that same day, the bookstore cuts my hours.

You know how folks sometimes say, "What are you waiting for, a neon sign from heaven?" Well, when I looked at the new schedule posted on the bulletin board at work, it morphed into this, right before my very eyes:

No comments: